Housing access coordination (HAC)

Housing access coordination (HAC): A waiver service that helps a person plan for, find and move to his/her own home. It is a pay-for-performance, person-centered service that pays for staff assistance based on the results achieved. A provider is reimbursed for actual time spent helping a person get housing.

Since fall 2009, more than 1,700 people have used HAC to move from licensed or unlicensed settings to homes of their own that are not owned, leased, or controlled by disability services providers.


A person is eligible to receive housing access coordination if he or she is enrolled on one of following waivers:

  • Brain Injury (BI)
  • Community Alternative Care (CAC)
  • Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI)
  • Developmental Disabilities (DD)

A person can use housing access coordination to move to his or her own home from any of the following settings:

  • Family or corporate adult foster care homes
  • Hospitals
  • Institutions for Mental Diseases (IMD)
  • Intensive rehabilitation treatment and rule 36 settings
  • Intermediate care facilities for persons with developmental disabilities (ICF/DD)
  • Nursing facilities)
  • Registered housing with services establishments (e.g., customized living)
  • Unlicensed settings (e.g., a person’s own home or family home)..
Own home

A person’s own home is a setting that he or she owns, rents or leases that is not operated, owned or leased by a provider of services or supports. The person has full control of his/her housing and choice of service provider.

Covered services Click Here